Hiding in plain sight is another one of the University of Minnesota’s extraordinary contributions to the national fight against COVID-19.
As we all know, measured research followed with timely and accurate reporting is the cornerstone of knowing the way forward in tackling any issue. That data provides a framework for tactics, testing and possible solutions.
The award winning, Medical Industry Leadership Institute, and the Management Information Systems Research Center at the Carlson School launched a project to consistently track and report daily COVID-19 related hospitalizations from all 50 states. The Hospitalization Tracking Project currently tracks and reports data on hospitalizations, including hospital bed count and intensive care capacity, from state health departments.
- The COVID-19 Hospitalization Tracking Project earned two Silver Stevie awards at the 19th annual American Business Awards for the “Most Valuable Non-Profit Response” and “Most Valuable Service”.
- The COVID-19 Hospitalization Tracking Project is proud to be a 2021 finalist for the NIHCM Digital Media Award!
- The NIHCM awards recognize the contributions of researchers and journalists who presented new evidence to advance the health system and the health of Americans.
- Project co-lead, Professor Pinar Karaca-Mandic, received the 2021 TRUST Award in the Community Engagement category from the Women’s Health Leadership TRUST. The TRUST Awards celebrate 20 Minnesota-based women in health care.
- The COVID-19 Hospitalization Tracking Project is 2021’s winner of the national INFORMS ISS Design Science Award for the design of the project’s dashboard. This award recognizes research efforts that use an experimental research approach, such as building and evaluating working IT systems or creating IT artifacts
Visit the Hospitalization Tracking Project website to learn more and view the interactive dashboard.
As the team approached one year of tracking COVID-19 hospitalizations, they reflected on their work. Learn more.
Medical Industry Leadership Institute