ISurTec – a shortened version of Innovative Surface Technologies often finds their name mentioned (both versions) in reports and accreditations within their industry journals. This time was different, ISurTec made the news for their long-view thinking and belief in the need for, and the future of, a robust STEM talent pool. More on this shortly.
A small company of scientists and engineers working to create surfaces designed to function in a biological environment, their coating solutions are formulated to adhere to medical device substrates and make them slippery.
The dedication to technology innovation, their deep passion for identifying, creating and commercializing new methods and products, are married to their firm belief in the need for qualified, trained and engaged talent, and ISurTec’s actions ensures there will be a pool of such talent.
Chemical engineering students from the University of Minnesota are valued interns at ISurTec. They are given hands-on training in a real lab, where quality control, precision analysis and an environment of authentic support instills confidence and inspiration in this new generation of scientists – some of whom are now employees of ISurTec.
ISurTec was founded in 2004 by Dr. Patrick Guire, an experienced entrepreneur, and his team of fellow scientists. They developed surface coatings to control whether water spreads out when contacting a surface (hydrophilicity) or forms a tight ball that dances off the surface (superhydrophobicity).
From that early research, ISurTec’s line of hydrophilic ISurGlide coatings for medical devices was born. Current research centers on surfaces that resist protein adhesion, that match the topography of various tissues or that degrade with time.
One year after their launch and continuing today, ISurTec’s research is supported by The National Science Foundations (NSF) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH) through the Small Business Innovative Research Program (SBIR).
• Labs – designs and synthesize custom coatings, apply them, and test them for biological applications
• Customization – develops custom coatings for proprietary medical devices
• In-line Products – innovative new product areas and products available for beta testing
• Research – diverse scientific expertise in research on surface modification and ever-changing discoveries
Mentions & Memorable Milestones
• National Tibbetts Award
• Tekne Executive of the Year – Small and Growing Businesses
• Medical Alley New Technology Showcase Winner
• UEL Graduate – Life Science Community
• Multiple Phase II SBIR awards from the NIH
• Multiple Phase I awards from NSF
Lubricious Coating Solutions for Improved Hydrophilic Medical Device
ISurTec enjoys collaborating with other companies and universities.