Recognizing Signs of Unhealthy Decisions and Why They Matter — First in the Series
Drake Baer’s[i] article for Business Insider references organizational psychology research which indicates successful entrepreneurs share at least four personality traits: They are generalist not specialists. They are outrageously self-confident. They are disagreeable. They are conscientious.
In addition to the above we suggest entrepreneurs tend to live an imbalanced life with their primary attention focused away from themselves, resulting in a body and mind being left unattended. As an entrepreneur you by nature are one of those head-down, face-to-the-wind and push-through personality types. Of course, you are—that’s what it takes for one to strike out with a vision and the determination to bring it to life. But are you taking too much from your life to bring your dream to life?
This four-part series will shine a light on some of the dangers we face when making healthy choices for one’s self gets moved to the back-burner of life.
David Aston[ii] writes on the topic of the unhealthy lifestyle of a typical entrepreneur. “It’s no coincidence that a lot of entrepreneurs have health related problems. As entrepreneurs, we often treat our bodies terribly in exchange for success. We work long, unsociable hours, on little sleep, fueling our bodies with crap food—just so we can get back to what we were doing.”
If you are one of those people who has learned to turn-off that nagging voice (it usually sounds like a mother) in the back of your head you know it, and like many of us you justify your “I don’t hear you” behavior with “I’ll eat better, go for a walk, get more sleep… when I get this next project done.”
If you’ve gotten this far into this post, great—you are considering taking better care of yourself—so we will continue.
According to Samuel Becker[iii] a health and fitness writer, there are 15 signs you may be living an unhealthy lifestyle.
- Bad Skin – a reflection of what is going-on inside
- Sleeping too little or too much can be an indicator your body is out of whack. Studies done by Sleep.org[iv] have shown the blue light emitted by screens restrains the production of melatonin.
- Bathroom Problems – too personal, too bad this is important
- Lip Balm Reliance – an indicator of your vitamin levels
- Bad Fingernails and Toenails – another outward sign of issues within
- Body Temperature Fluctuation – may be a sign of cardiovascular issues
- A Cloudy Mind – cognitive ability and brain health are closely tied to physical condition
- You are Consistently Itchy – seemingly to be always itchy and it’s disruptive, may indicate a bigger problem
- You Are Shrinking – take this seriously, though, as this can signal serious health problems
- Premature Greying – it could be genetic, but it can also be related to other health conditions
- Your Legs Swell – this may be a sign of a thyroid, kidney or heart condition
- Wrinkles Develop in Odd Spots – premature or wrinkles in areas not exposed to the sun may be a sign of poor health, according to Redbook. Particularly in your upper arms, which may be a sign of high blood pressure
- Bad Breath – bad breath could mean gingivitis which can lead to serious dental issues
- Yellowing in the Eyes – this is a critical indicator and may point to liver trouble
- Swollen Neck – it could mean you may have an overactive thyroid – if this happens quickly see you doctor promptly
This should be a cautionary tale if you take notice—the force that drives you to be a successful entrepreneur needs also be employed to keep you healthy—both mentally and physically. Even a small change can reap a big impact. After all, your brain, body and soul ask so little of you; fresh air and water, clean, sustainable nutrition, regular physical activity, laughter, human contact and belief in yourself.